Game Photos: Maryland Terps VS Detroit Mercy Titans

It was not the smoothest start to a season, but the No. 3 University of Maryland men's lacrosse team got four points from four different Terps to give head coach John Tillman a 16-4 victory over Detroit Mercy in his first game at the helm of the Terrapin program.

On an aesthetic note the Terrapins wore Yellow uniforms. Yellow of course is one of the main colors in the Maryland flag. Not sure if this is the first time the Terps have worn yellow, but I know for a fact it has not happened in my lifetime. Terps also wore Black helmets, Black shorts and White/Red cleats. The Titans from Detroit Mercy donned Nike jerseys that matched their Red helmets.

Bumpy Start, But Maryland Routs Detroit Mercy in Tillman's First Game:

The Titans (0-4) capitalized on two non-releasable Terrapin penalties to take a 2-0 lead with just under six minutes left in the first quarter, but from that point on it was all Maryland as the Terps (1-0) ripped off 10 unanswered goals from the final minutes of the first quarter to midway through the third.

Junior Joe Cummings, who was one of two Terps to tally hat tricks on the day, got things going for Maryland with a slick turn-and-shoot goal just outside the crease off of a nice feed by sophomore John Haus.

Senior Ryan Young took over the game at the start of the second quarter, scoring three straight to give the Terps a 4-2 lead. The first of Young's goals came on an extra-man opportunity when he finished a nice pass from senior Grant Catalino. He scored his second a minute later, one-timing a cross-crease pass from senior Travis Reed. Young completed the natural hat trick with another easy goal thanks to a terrific skip pass by Haus.

Next up it was Reed's turn to net a pair of goals for the Terps to make it a 6-2 game with just under four minutes to go in the second. Reed's first came on a lefty rocket from the right wing off an assist from Young.

Reed's second score came via Maryland's dangerous transition game. Senior defender Brett Schmidt caused a turnover and got the groundball on the left side of the field near the midfield stripe. He quickly fed a pass to senior defender Max Schmidt, who was racing down the middle of the field. Max Schmidt then quickly moved the ball on to Reed who beat Titan goalie A.J. Levell with a quick shot.

With less than three minutes to go in the half Reed was on the giving end of the next Maryland goal. He found junior Jake Bernhardt running free into the restraining box and Bernhardt ripped a shot from 12 yards out to give the Terps a 7-2 advantage.

That lead grew to 8-2 just before halftime thanks to Catalino's first goal of the afternoon. Haus picked up his third helper of the day by skipping the pass through to Catalino on the left goal line extended and Catalino had enough time to give Levell a good ball fake before finishing the play low.

Maryland's scoring run continued after the break with Cummings scoring his second of the day just 46 seconds into the third quarter. Cummings' dodging goal from down the left alley was the Terps' first unassisted goal of the game.

Catalino finished the 10-0 run at the 8:59 mark, lacing a low-to-low shot from the left alley off a nice feed from Jake Bernhardt.

Detroit Mercy's Shayne Adams ended the Titans' scoreless streak at 32:13 with his sixth goal of the season at the 6:52 mark. But that only gave the Terps the chance to begin another scoring run.

Junior Drew Snider started this five-goal run for the Terps with a nice shot into the upper right corner from the left wing. Haus picked up his career-best fourth assist on the goal.

The Terps' transition game worked to perfection again to close out scoring for the third quarter. Sophomore Jesse Bernhardt caused a turnover that junior Michael Shakespeare advanced into the offensive zone. Sophomore Landon Carr made a great run down the middle of the field and finished the play with his first career goal to make it a 12-3 Terrapin lead.

The run continued less than two minutes into the fourth quarter on Snider's second goal of the game.

Senior Fran Gormley scored his first of the season at the 12:19 mark on a terrific shot from 10 yards out to make it a 14-3 Terrapin lead.

Sophomore Owne Blye finished the five-goal run with his first goal at the 7:59 mark. Freshman Sean McGuire picked up his first collegiate point by feeding Blye the ball after Blye made a good cut toward the crease.

Matt Gregson closed out the scoring for the Titans with an unassisted goal with 6:28 left in the game.

Cummings finished things up for the Terps with a goal from the right alley with 3:55 remaining.

The Terps were terrific when the ball was on the ground, winning the groundball battle 49-23. A big reason for that was the play of sophomore Curtis Holmes on face-offs. Holmes won 17 of 21 face-offs and had a game-high five groundballs.

Redshirt freshman Niko Amato made his first collegiate start a solid one, making three saves and allowing just four goals in 52:01. Amato also chipped in with four groundballs and a caused turnover.

Maryland's defense limited the Titans to just 17 shots for the game. At close defense, seniors Ryder Bohlander, Shane Hall, Brett Schmidt and Max Schmidt combined for nine groundballs and five caused turnovers.

The Terps' long pole trio of Jesse Bernhardt, Michael White and David Miller combined for seven groundballs and four caused turnovers.

Maryland returns to action next Saturday, Feb. 26, when it hosts No. 15 Georgetown at 3 p.m. at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium.

Back to blog